When some people think of whole wheat, they think of a dry, bland bread that is supposed to be good for them. Truth is, whole wheat bread doesn’t have to taste bland. This recipe uses two tablespoons of honey and the honey flavor sweetens the baked loaf so that it’s not only healthy to eat, but delicious, too. Makes 2 medium loaves of bread.
Prep Time: 2 hours
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours, 40 minutes
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp shortening
- 1 tbsp active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2-3/4 cups bread flour
- egg white
- In large bowl, mix together salt, honey, shortening, and yeast. Stir in milk and warm water.
- Stir in whole wheat flour. Mix in 2-1/2 cups bread flour.
- Turn dough out onto floured board. Knead in remaining 1/4 cup flour. The dough will be slightly sticky so keep your hands well floured as you knead.
- Put dough in greased bowl and turn over so that the top of dough is greased. Cover and let rise for 1 hour.
- Punch down dough. Turn out onto floured board and knead for about 3 minutes.
- Divide dough in half. Form each half into a loaf and place in greased loaf pans. Cover and let rise for about 30 minutes or until double in size.
- Brush dough tops with egg white. Score the loaves by make three quick slashes across the top.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 40 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and turn bread out onto clean kitchen towel or rack.