Rolled oats in bread recipes are one way of making a heavier, heartier, and healthier bread. This recipe uses oats and whole wheat to make a delicious bread that tastes great when toasted and smothered in a favorite butter.
Yield: 1 medium loaf.
Prep Time: 2 hours
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours, 40 minutes
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup milk, room temperature
- 3/4 cup warm water (95 to 110 degrees F)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1-1/2 tsp active dry yeast
- 2 tsp partially refined sugar
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup bread flour, about
- In medium bowl, add vegetable oil, milk, and warm water. Stir in salt, yeast, and sugar. Mix in whole wheat flour, and oats. Mix in enough bread flour to make a thick dough that can be kneaded by hand. Turn dough out onto lightly floured board and knead the dough for 5 minutes. When finished, the dough will be slightly sticky.
- Grease medium size bowl. Put dough into bowl and turn dough over so that the top of dough is also lightly greased. Cover with clean cloth and let dough rise in warm, draft-free place for about 45 minutes or until double in size. Turn dough out onto board and knead out air bubbles for about 3 minutes. Shape into bread loaf.
- Grease bread pan. Sprinkle cornmeal on bread pan, if desired. Place loaf in pan. Cover and let rise in warm, draft-free spot for about 30 minutes or until double in size. Bake bread at 350 degrees F for 40 minutes.
- Turn bread out onto rack or clean kitchen towel and allow to cool. Bread can be frozen in a sealed freezer bag for up to 3 months.