Pineapple walnut bread is the perfect breakfast bread to serve adults and children. It’s a sweet bread that tastes delicious when butter or toasted.
Yield: 1 large loaf or 2 round loaves
Prep Time: 2 hours
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours, 45 minutes
- 3/4 cup warm water (95 to 110 degrees F)
- 2-1/4 tsp or 1 pkg. (1/4 oz.) active dry yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp molasses
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp shortening
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom seeds
- 1/2 cup milk, room temperature
- 1 cup canned crushed pineapple
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 4 cups bread flour, about
- In large bowl, mix warm water and yeast. Add salt, molasses, brown sugar, shortening, cinnamon, and cardamom. Pour in milk and stir. Stir in crushed pineapple and walnuts. Add 3 cups of flour and mix well. Add in enough remaining flour to make a dough that follows the spoon around the bowl. Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface and knead for 10 minutes, adding more flour as needed until the dough is only slightly sticky to the touch. Place dough in medium greased bowl. Turn dough over in bowl so that the top is also lightly greased. Cover with clean cloth and let rise in warm, draft-free place for 1 hour.
- Punch down dough. Turn dough out onto lightly floured board and knead for 5 minutes or until the bubbles are out of the bread. Shape dough into 1 large loaf or two round loaves. Place large loaf in greased, 9 X 5-inch bread pan or place the two round loaves on a greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise in warm, draft-free place for 45 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Bake bread at 375 degrees F for 45 minutes or until bread top is golden brown and the bread sounds hollow when the top is tapped. Remove bread from pan and let cool on rack.