Are you looking for a delicious, healthy breakfast bread? Whole wheat raisin bread tastes great fresh out of the oven or toasted and served with butter. It is a favorite bread for many families because it can also be eaten as a healthy snack. This recipe for whole wheat raisin bread makes two loaves.
Prep Time: 2 hours
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours, 45 minutes
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 tsp salt
- 1-1/2 cups warm water
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup raisins
- 4 cups bread flour, about
- In large bowl, mix together whole wheat flour, sugar, yeast, and salt.
- Add water, milk, molasses, butter, and raisins. Mix well.
- Mix in bread flour until dough is formed.
- Turn dough out onto floured board and knead for about 8 minutes, adding more flour to the dough in small amounts as needed.
- Put dough in greased bowl. Turn dough over in bowl so that the dough top is also lightly greased. Cover bowl with plastic wrap or clean kitchen cloth and let rise in warm place for 1 hour.
- Punch down dough.
- Turn dough out onto board and knead for another 5 minutes.
- Divide dough into 2 equal parts. Shape dough into 2 loaves.
- Put loaves in two greased 9 x 5-inch loaf pan. Cover and let rise for about 30 minutes or until double in size.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for about 40 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when you tap on it.