This white rice bread recipe uses leftover rice to create a delicious, moist bread. When shaped into an oblong loaf and baked on a flat pan or cookie sheet, the bread has a gourmet country appearance.
Yield: 1 small loaf.
Prep Time: 2 hours
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours, 30 minutes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1-1/2 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp shortening
- 1/2 cup leftover white rice, cooked
- 2/3 cup warm water (100 degrees F)
- 1-1/2 cups bread flour, about
- In medium bowl, mix salt, yeast, sugar, shortening, rice, and warm water. Mix in flour a 1/2 cup at a time until a thick dough is formed. Turn dough out onto floured board and knead for 8 minutes. Grease a medium bowl. Place dough in bowl and turn dough over so that the dough top is also lightly greased. Cover with clean cloth and let dough rise in warm, draft-free place for 45 minutes or until double in size.
- Punch down dough. Turn out onto floured board and knead for about 3 minutes. Shape dough in small loaf. Grease small loaf pan or baking sheet. Put loaf in pan or sheet, cover with clean cloth and allow to rise in warm, draft-free place for about 30 minutes or until double in size.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove loaf from pan and let cool on rack.